Integrating healthcare and “earthcare”, today, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical (NCA&T) State University cuts the ribbon on its “greenest” campus building. The two-story, state of the art, 27,548 square foot building replaces the 11,000 square foot Sebastian Health Center constructed in 1958. The new health center becomes the university’s first completely green building, achieving Silver certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) from the U.S. Green Building Council. The building’s orientation, design, and systems were developed to minimize energy consumption and provide the school long-term operational cost savings.
In addition to the new student health center, NCA&T’s Proctor School of Education building opened in 2009 utilizing green roof technology and other sustainable components aimed at reducing storm water run off and energy demands for air conditioning. The university is currently planning an environmentally-friendly student union, striving to achieve LEED Gold certification. Off campus, the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSNN) Building, a joint venture between NCA&T and the University of NC-Greensboro on the south campus of Gateway University Research Park, achieved LEED Gold certification in 2013.
In 2009, the University of North Carolina (UNC) Board of Governors adopted environmental policies reflective of the UNC System’s commitment to lead the State of North Carolina to a more sustainable future. The goal of the initiative was to reduce energy consumption by 30% at all UNC institutions and affiliates by 2015.
For the second straight year, North Carolina A&T has been recognized as a world leader among universities in sustainability. The UI GreenMetric Ranking of World Universities 2014 ranks A&T No. 25 among 360 universities in 62 countries. Since 2003, NCA&T has reduced its energy use by 21%. Energy efficiency measures currently in place have saved enough energy to meet the power needs of 760 households for a year and saved $386,274 in FY 2011-12.
Established in 1891 as a land-grant institution, NCA&T encompasses 200 acres and has a 600-acre university farm. Current enrollment is approximately 11,000 students. #AggiePride